Friday, August 05, 2011

3 east Alabama football players sent to ER after practice - WSFA 12 News Montgomery, AL

http://www.wsfa.com/story/15212753/three-east-alabama-high-school-football-players-sent-to-er-after-practice-in-hot-weather

Posted by The Meck

Last summer I got extremely hot mowing my grass, late afternoon about 5-7p.
I got cramps and they stopped, but I could not cool off.
Felt exhausted and about midnite got sick to my stomach and my mind started spinning and
I started cramping big time all over my body.

A friend took me to the ER and my sodium level had dropped to 117. 135 is normal.
115 is coma level [I read.]
The doctor said I had hyponatremia. I almost drowned myself drinking so much water.
They gave me I V's of Sodium for hours and I was able to leave about 8 hrs later.
I needed more electrolytes, not more water. The Dr said drink plenty of Powerade, Gatorade and water.

It was a brutal experience and took me about 3-6 months to get over it.
As a friend who can relate said, You really never get over it.
Thanks to my friend who got me to the ER at Flowers Hospital and their great staff who saved my life.
I 'll write more about this soon. - Meck
-
When I was in school, football games kicked off in Sept, not August.
As a friend says to me, 'There should be a law that says football games can't start until September.'
That's a great point. Practices would start later and maybe it wouldn't be so hot for 2-a-days, practices, and games. High school football games are scheduled for Aug 19. That's ridiculous. A recipe for cramping, dehydration and serious heat-related incidents.

Hopefully, it won't take a heat-related death and lawsuits to get this obvious problem fixed. - Meck

http://www.wsfa.com/story/15212753/three-east-alabama-high-school-football-players-sent-to-er-after-practice-in-hot-weather
-
Twitter / Follow The Meck

Subscribe To The Meck Report/Blog - Rt column
www.TheMeck.com

No comments: