Saturday, July 27, 2013

'Slum pope' visits Brazil's poor – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs - Pope Francis visited one of Rio de Janeiro's most dangerous and impoverished neighborhoods Thursday, saying that no society pushing the poor to the margins can succeed. - "I say: You are not alone; the church is with you; the pope is with you," Francis told residents of the notorious Varginha favela, or slum. - "I carry each of you in my heart, and I make my own the intentions that you carry deep within you: thanksgiving for joys, pleas for help in times of difficulty, a desire for consolation in times of grief and suffering." - Francis, whose concern for the poor has earned him the nickname the "slum pope" in Latin America, is in Brazil through Sunday for World Youth Day, a weeklong Catholic event.

MORE
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/25/slum-pope-visits-brazils-poor/


No comments: