Monday, May 21, 2012

A Mormon moment – USATODAY.com - Stephen Prothero - On the final exam for an American religion class I taught this spring, I asked my Boston University students to offer Mitt Romney some unsolicited advice on how to talk to the American public about his Mormon faith. He needs it. In many respects, Mormons have become quintessentially American, yet "gentiles" (as Mormons call the rest of us) remain wary. Evangelicals often view the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as an unchristian "cult," and many liberals are at least as uncomfortable with the idea of a Mormon president. What to do? Most of my students told me that the former Massachusetts governor could not sidestep "TMT," as his 2008 presidential team referred to "That Mormon Thing."


http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-05-20/romney-mormon-evangelicals-liberty-commencement/55096402/1


No comments: